How do I get my drivers license reinstated after suspension for non-payment of child support?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Orlando, FL

My ex-wife had my license suspended for non-payment of child support after being out of work for a while. I have since found a job, the support is being automatically taken out of my checks, plus $50 towards the back support that I owed. But she still refuses to give me back my license. Isn't that controlled by the courts? How do I go about getting it back? How long do I have to make payments before I can get it back?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alejandro Rafael Lopez

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . In two ways: 1) By filing a motion to reinstate your driver's license with the court and having a hearing before a judicial hearing officer of judge. With the signed order, you go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and they will reinstate it, or 2) by entering into a written agreement with the State of Florida's Department of Revenue (if they are involved in the case) and having the Department of Revenue give you an affidavit. Then you take this affidavit to the Department of Motor Vehicles which will reinstate your license.

    Good luck!

    Alejandro R. Lopez, Esq.
    Law Office of Alejandro R. Lopez, P.A.
    4465 Edgewater Drive,
    Suite A
    Orlando, Fla. 32804
    Ph.: (407) 649-1404
    Fax: (407) 649-9890

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,569 answers this week

2,756 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,569 answers this week

2,756 attorneys answering