Skip to main content

How do I get my dismissed felony off my record?

Indianapolis, IN |

In 2008 I had a felony charge brought against me for receiving stolen property. I was given probation and community service to complete and then the charges were dismissed. I was young when this happened. I currently starting attending college and am trying to find a good job to pay for it. This charge showing up on my background checks is inhibiting from getting a decent job though and I was wondering what I can do to try to get it sealed or expunged.

Attorney Answers 2


There is a mechanism for this to be achieved in Indiana for dismissed Class D felonies and below (misdemeanors). If you meet the qualifications, you can file a petition with the sentencing Court to have your record sealed (only available to law enforcement). Contact a criminal defense lawyer in your area and they can determine whether you meet all of the requirements, and explain the process in more detail.

Mark as helpful


Given the facts presented in your question you do not qualify to expunge this in Indiana and it is too early to limit access to your criminal history so as to "mask" it or keep it private under the new law from 2011 which requires 8 years from the time your release or discharge on the case.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics