How do I get my belongings out of the house I was staying at? My x roomate wont let me get them.

Asked over 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I was staying temporarily at a friends house. He held a gun to my head so the next day I left and filled out a police report. Now he wont let me get my belongings out of the house. The police said to file a no contact order and request a civil assist but they said that was only for personal items . I have some furniture over there. How do I get all my stuff?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Crystal Grace Rutherford


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The police have already given you the answer. Obtain a no-contact order or anti-harassment order first and at the hearing request a civil assist which will need to be a specific date and time so that you can get your belongings. You certainly do not want to go there alone, without a court order and unescorted by the police. If you go to the courthouse, there are forms that you can fill out to start the process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,196 answers this week

3,129 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,196 answers this week

3,129 attorneys answering