How do I get Mortgage company to release fire insurance proceeds?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Huntington Beach, CA

Mom Died with reverse mortgage with Wells Fargo. While obtaining probate documents house burnt down. Insurance proceeds were $107,000. Wells provided documents for rebuild then would not release funds to contractor. How do I get them to release funds for rebuild and tender the contract?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Christopher Robert Blevins

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . The loan documents will govern the rights and obligations with regards to the insurance proceeds. Often these proceeds go to the secured creditor, who is then required to use the proceeds to make repairs unless such action is not economically feasible. If the documents support your position that your bank is required to release the funds to the contractor, you could start by making a written demand to them requesting that the funds be released. If they funds are not then released, you may want to pursue legal action. In any event, you should consult with an attorney on this matter.

    The above is general legal analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyze... more
  2. Leonore M. Greller

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Often times the bank wants to see the work estimates and proposals and releases the funds in partial payments, as the work proceeds. If you have been denied the claim, you'll have a denial letter that you should request. Also, the contractor should know how this works as well. And, because there is a reverse mortgage and Wells Fargo is entitled to ask for the property back, unless you pay off the reverse mortgage within a specified time of your mom's death (you need to read the mortgage documents), Wells might not want to do anything to the house until it is in its possession. You need to speak to the bank.

    This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult... more
  3. David J. McCormick

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I would start with asking the insurance company for a written explanation as to why they will not release the funds. Depending on their answer you may need to talk with an attorney.

    Good luck.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being... more

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,879 answers this week

3,468 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,879 answers this week

3,468 attorneys answering