How do I get Mortgage company to release fire insurance proceeds?

Asked over 1 year ago - Huntington Beach, CA

Mom Died with reverse mortgage with Wells Fargo. While obtaining probate documents house burnt down. Insurance proceeds were $107,000. Wells provided documents for rebuild then would not release funds to contractor. How do I get them to release funds for rebuild and tender the contract?

1. Christopher Robert Blevins

Answered . The loan documents will govern the rights and obligations with regards to the insurance proceeds. Often these proceeds go to the secured creditor, who is then required to use the proceeds to make repairs unless such action is not economically feasible. If the documents support your position that your bank is required to release the funds to the contractor, you could start by making a written demand to them requesting that the funds be released. If they funds are not then released, you may want to pursue legal action. In any event, you should consult with an attorney on this matter.

2. Leonore M. Greller

1

Answered . Often times the bank wants to see the work estimates and proposals and releases the funds in partial payments, as the work proceeds. If you have been denied the claim, you'll have a denial letter that you should request. Also, the contractor should know how this works as well. And, because there is a reverse mortgage and Wells Fargo is entitled to ask for the property back, unless you pay off the reverse mortgage within a specified time of your mom's death (you need to read the mortgage documents), Wells might not want to do anything to the house until it is in its possession. You need to speak to the bank.

3. David J. McCormick

Answered . I would start with asking the insurance company for a written explanation as to why they will not release the funds. Depending on their answer you may need to talk with an attorney.