How do I get money owed to me back? Can I get interest?

Oneonta, NY |

I paid by check $3800 for a truck from a dealer it was someone I new well. The title was never transferred in my name because he did not have the title himself yet . the day after I pick it up the transmission started slipping. he said he would fix it. had it for a week gave it back to me suposable fixed. but was doing the same thing so I told him I just wanted my money back. he said it was spent and tried to sell me something else told him no just give me my money. Well over the last year a few hunder hear and there he stops paying me with still five hundred to go. What can I do? I'm very frustrated and do not have the money to pay a lawyer unless I can get it from him? thanks for any help answering.

1. You can sue him in small claims court. If the claim is breach of contract you can get simple 9 percent interest per year (no compounding) otherwise no interest. You do not get attorney fees from him unless you have a contract that provides for that.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

2. Sue him. Find someone competent here: http://www.naca.net