How do i get married to my boyfriend in county jail in washington state?

Asked over 2 years ago - Tacoma, WA

My boyfriend is going to prison and before he does we want to get married while he is still in county jail

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael F. Morgan

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Some jails have a staff member to officiate a service. Judges and retired judges can officiate weddings and have the same jail access as practicing lawyers--so that may be an option. You need to get your wedding license and 2 witnesses which may manke working with the corrections staff the best option.

  2. Dennis James Dressler

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Start by asking the jail what their regulations are. Many will not agree without the permission of the prosecutor because they have concerns about whether or not it could keep you from testifying. If the prosecutor is agreeable get your license, blood test, line up a minister or judge and witnesses. It will most likely be a "no contact" ceremony. Make sure to have the ceremony before sentencing if you are concerned about conjugal visits while he is in prison. Good luck.

    Answers are based upon information provided by the writer. An in-depth response can only be based upon by... more
  3. Joshua Sachs

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Ask the county sheriff or the jail superintendent.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,188 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,188 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering