How do I get info removed from internet when someone is posing as me?

Asked 11 months ago - Springfield, MA

Someone is using my name and personal info on a sexual based website. I have emailed the site admin and filled out a contact us"ticket" on the site as well... no response from either. When searching my name online this site comes up immidiatly and I need it removed. I know for a fact that nobody else shares my name.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrew Mark Jaffe


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I often say as cocktail chatter that there is no gravity on the Internet, what goes up does not come down.

    That having been said, I have worked for dozens of clients to get information removed or search engine de-listed. I would say the success rate for these kinds of actions among Internet attorneys is around 70% and that the cost is from $1,000 to $1,500. It all depends on the circumstances.

    If you know who the poster is, another avenue many clients take is to have a lawyer write a cease and desist letter to the person. While a cease and desist letter has little legal effect, it will tell the poster he could get in legal hot water which will cost him a lot of legal fees if nothing else.

    You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.

    This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to... more
  2. Clayton Montgomery

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Depending on the site, some websites will remove them upon receiving a politely-worded request from you attesting that you are the person who's name is being used, by someone posing as you, who doesn't have authority or permission to do so.
    Typically, the websites themselves are going to be protected legally by the Communications Decency Act (47 USC ยง 230), so threatening them with legal action is unlikely to be effective. You may be able to sue the person responsible for posting as a "john Doe" prior to learning their real identity, and subpoena records about the poster (I.P address, timestamp, email address, etc) from the website owner.

  3. Golnar Sargeant

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get a lawyer to handle the site--they'll take it more seriously.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,834 answers this week

2,952 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,834 answers this week

2,952 attorneys answering