Skip to main content

How do I get guardianship of my father when I am not a conservator of his estate?

Arroyo Grande, CA |

I choose not to become a conservator of my fathers estate for personal reasons. Both my older sister have it. However, I now want "guardianship of my father" because I found out that my sister that has him full time is traveling too much and leaving him with a hired agency. I am a stay home mom and have the time now to take him. How do I go about it. My other sister is in total agreement with me and supports my request. Please help. This is in the Los Angeles area.

Attorney Answers 2


It is easiest if you work this out informally with your family. Get everyone else on board and then approach your sister who you believe is traveling too much. If that doesn't work, seek out a family law attorney in your jurisdiction who has experience dSalinger with geriatric issues.

Any comments offered are not intended as legal advice. This attorney does not know the specifics of the particular case sufficiently to offer legal advice. You should hire a lawyer who can evaluate the details of your specific situation before offering advice.

Mark as helpful


I'd try to work it out with the rest of the family and see what you can do to help before talking to any lawyer and possibly ripping the family apart.

So start with a conversation with your sister, talk, then talk some more and then listen. Bam--family dynamics 101.

Mark as helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics