How do I get guardianship of my 22 year old special needs son

Asked over 2 years ago - Cape Coral, FL

My son has PDD, anxiety disorder, panic attacks & PTSD. A psychological exam was completed 2 months ago and his IQ was said to be 70.

1. Astrid de Parry

Pro

3

Answered . A Circuit Cout may appoint a guardian advocate without an adjudication of incapacity for a person with developmental disabilities. It is my understanding that PDD is a form of autism. If this is true, PDD would qualify as a developmental disability. If your son was diasgnosed with this disorder prior to turning 18, you could potentially file to become his guadian advocate. Guardian advocate proceedings are less time consuming and exepensive in comparison with guardianship. An attorney can help you decide whether to file for guardianship or a guardian advocate.

2. Joseph M. Masiuk

Pro

3

Answered . You need to consult with an attorney in your area who specializes in guardianship or conservatorship issues. Avvo is a good place to start for finding such an attorney.

Make sure that the attorney is willing to LISTEN to all of your concerns, answer your questions in Plain English and is sincere in his or her desire to help you and your son.

I wish you and your son the best as you continue your journey.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . You need to meet with a guardianship attorney and take steps to be the legally appointed guardain of your son.

4. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . I agree with Attorney Masiuk and would simply add that the process of seeking guardianship would be handled through the probate court in your son's county of residence.

You can find additional information on Florida guardianship law and procedure, here: http://www.google.com/urlsa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&s...

Best of luck to you!

James Frederick