Skip to main content

How do I get full disclosure of my father's estate ? he passed away 11/27/12 when can I expect to see the will?

Brooklyn, NY |

How can we change the executor? My oldeest sister transfered to my youngest sister ( she is inexperienced )

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am sorry to hear about the loss of your father....
In terms of probating his will and "changing" his executor, you should really have an attorney review the will and the wishes of any named or successor executors to determine how to appoint a new executor.
Before the will is admitted into probate, you must have the right to review and agree to the will being probated and an executor appointed OR challenge the will and/or the proposed executor/executrix.
I recommend that you speak to an attorney about your specific case. Many, including myself, offer a free confidential consultation.


Roman Aminov, Esq.

Law Offices of Roman Aminov

Estate Planning - Elder Law - Probate

147-17 Union Turnpike | Flushing, New York 11367
P: 347.766.2685 | F: 347.474.7344 |

This answer does not constitute legal advice and no attorney client relationship has been formed. Before choosing a course of action, it is always advisable to seek the advice of an attorney in your area.

Michael Niels Bruno

Michael Niels Bruno


I would add that if the will has already been probated and you continue to have difficulty with the executor an attorney may assist you In requesting an Accounting either formal or informal.


As a distributee of your father's estate you are entitled to see a copy of the document that is being presented to the Surrogate's Court as his Last Will and Testament. It can take time for all the papers that need to be submitted to the court along with the will to be gathered, either by the proposed executor or their attorney.

If the nominated executor does not wish to serve the terms of the will would control who could step up next to be appointed.

If the proposed executor has retained an attorney you must keep in mind that the attorney does not represent the entire family. It may be in your best interest to consult with your own attorney if you have concerns about the will or eventual distribution of assets.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.


You are entitled to view the will before it is probated as explained in previous answer.
You oldest sister can resign so the youngest sister can be appointed if she is the next nominated person.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer