How do I get foreign travel permission when on probation in Montgomery County, Maryland?

Rockville, MD |

A friend and I are planning a trip abroad and he asked his probation officer for permission to leave the country. His PO said that he had to ask the judge. He then consulted his attorney, his lawyer said that he didn't need an attorney to ask the judge permission for foreign travel. The judge is retired. Who should the letter be directed to and what should it include? Will a letter from community leaders in support of his character help?

This is not DUI/DWI case; this was a misdemeanor. Time was served. Out-of-state travel while on probation was approved by the judge at sentencing.

1. He should write to the court where he was convicted. He should also make sure that he can travel in the places he wants to go with his conviction record while on probation. The country may not let him in, which can be a real financial bind.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin http://addbalance.com Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: http://addbalance.com/police.htm

2. Any judge of the court that placed him on probation can approve the request. While I do believe that a lawyer would probably be beneficial, it is technically possible to do it with one. Simp,y write a letter to the judge explaining the circumstances, where you want to go and for how long. Point out that you've been doing well on probation up to this point and that you will continue to do so.

3. Each retired judge in Montgomery County has a regular judge assigned to hear his or her Violations of Probation matters or in the case, a probation modification request.
    Your friend does not have to hire a lawyer but it could be helpful in getting this issue before the correct judge and heard as quickly as possible.
    Your friend can look at Maryland Rule 4-346(b).
    This is not an unusual request and will usually be granted.

4. Contact both your parole officer and the judge and see if he will authorize and allow you to leave the country/state.