Skip to main content

How do I get everything on the record when I walk into the court room? Even if my case isn't going to be heard that day?

Alto, GA |

How do I get EVERYTHING SAID BY THE JUDGE AND COUNSEL RECORDED even if not heard? Opposing counsel said all kinds of things that changed and the Judge granted a continuance and ordered mediation on a contempt unrecorded. Now, we have to go in there for another continuance and I don't want this off the record, too. Previously the Judge had said one thing at opening that was never "heard" (drop the demand for jury trial and opposing counsel drop the contempt and he granted a judgment) and then later denied he said it and put me in jail on the same contempt/judgment after I had dropped the jury trial and made a payment on judgment. Help?!?! This is the same district where 3 judges (2 who have harmed me) have been removed from the bench. Should this be #4??? Media is welcome to contact me.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    It sounds like you have made one and possibly two mistakes: (1) Not having a lawyer (it's not clear if you had one, but that's important), and (2) Not bringing your own court reporter. Most courts no longer provide reporters. You have to arrange for one and sometimes even pay one in advance. If you fail to bring a court reporter, you greatly reduce your chances of success on appeals or post-trial motions to near zero. The media won't help with appeals. A transcript from a court reporter will.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer unless you sign a retainer agreement). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy. State bar rules require that I disclose my name/contact information in any communication (Glen Ashman, 2791 Main Street, East Point GA 30344 - 404-768-3509 / )

  2. You hire a court reporter to sit there and report everything that's said in open court. Expect to pay her in advance.

    It sounds like you are doing this without a lawyer, which is a huge mistake. If you can afford a court reporter, you can probably afford a lawyer, and should.

  3. Court reporter. One thing to know, you pay for their time to be there/perform the "take down," and another fee for the transcript.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics