How do i get emancipated at 16 in South Carolina?

Spartanburg, SC |

I am 16 years old and do not want to live with my parents anymore. They do not want me to leave and threaten to call the police if i do. I have a safe place to stay and can take care of myself without the aid of my parents. How can i leagally leave?

1. At your present age, you would need to petition the family court for an order of emancipation. You would need to have a guardian appointed to do this on your behalf. Your query does not give sufficient information to allow a more detailed reply. If you can elaborate on how you can fully support yourself (which you would have to do in an emancipation petition and prove in court), then a more comprehensive answer can be given.

DISCLAIMER – LEGAL ADVICE If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter. My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed to practice in the appropriate jurisdiction where the legal issue may be filed or in the state where the law applies.