How do i get emancipated at 16 in South Carolina?

Asked about 3 years ago - Spartanburg, SC

I am 16 years old and do not want to live with my parents anymore. They do not want me to leave and threaten to call the police if i do. I have a safe place to stay and can take care of myself without the aid of my parents. How can i leagally leave?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Michael Edward Atwater

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . At your present age, you would need to petition the family court for an order of emancipation. You would need to have a guardian appointed to do this on your behalf. Your query does not give sufficient information to allow a more detailed reply. If you can elaborate on how you can fully support yourself (which you would have to do in an emancipation petition and prove in court), then a more comprehensive answer can be given.

    DISCLAIMER – LEGAL ADVICE If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,658 answers this week

3,031 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,658 answers this week

3,031 attorneys answering