Skip to main content

How do I get divorce paperwork to file myself and start the process

Gary, IN |
Filed under: Divorce

I need to know the cheapest way to file for this divorce and do the paperwork. I would like this to be an easy process. We only lived together for 11 months.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Try the self help area at the IndiNa Judiciary website

The providing of information in response to an inquiry does not establish an attorney client relationship. Depending on the circumstances, an exchange of private emails or telephone calls may. (219) 836 2200

Burton A. Padove

Burton A. Padove


Indiana Judiciary Website.


You should consult a local attorney and discuss your options. If the case is contested, if there are children or if there are property interests to divide hiring an attorney is a lot cheaper than making mistakes.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


I am sorry that you are going through this. The court's website should have info and the court may help but like my very inteligent collegue has stated, any mistakes could be very costly. Be careful. Take care and Merry Christmas.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.


You may also want to consult a lawyer because you may be surprised. Some attorneys are certainly willing to work with you on payment arrangements. And having an attorney handle the filing for you will leave with certainty that it will not come back to haunt you later. Also, I believe the most expensive part if you are filing an uncontested no children divorce is the filing fee. If you are truly without income you may seek permission from the court to file for free. You can do this by filing a petition of indigency. The court clerk may have one for your use. Good luck to you. I wish you the best in this New Year.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer