How do I get contempt of court dismissed?

Asked 11 months ago - Omaha, NE

I entered into a stipulation agreeing that I was in contempt of court and agreed to follow a purge plan for 90 days. After 90 days, if all of the requirements have been met, ex's attorney was supposed to file a motion dismissing the contempt matter. 90 days are up but my ex's attorney was recently granted an additional 90 day continuance without my consent. I have done everything agreed upon in the stipulation and do NOT want to wait 90 more days to have this dismissed. I did MY part but she/her attorney is not doing theirs. I am representing myself, the case is in another county here in NE and travel is difficult. How can I get this dismissed without waiting another 90 days? Can I just write a letter to the judge explaining the situation and send him copies proving my compliance?

1. Kevin J. O'Connell

Best Answer

Answered . You can file a motion to dismiss case yourself and attach all the proof as exhibits. There is a self help desk in the courthouse in Douglas County. Volunteer attorneys are there, not to do the work for you, but to help you along with simple filings. Depending on how much time/money you want to devote to this issue you could try asking an attorney to help you with just this single issue. Good luck.

2. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

Answered . You may want to have the attorney file the dismissal for you. Most can be done without going to court by the internet. Good luck.