How do I get appointed personal representative of my brother's estate so I can file a medical malpractice lawsuit?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

My mother doesn't want to file a medical malpractice lawsuit for my brother who passed away under a doctor's care. Since by law, she is next of kin and would be the only one who can file, would I be able to petition to the court to be appointed personal representative of my brother's estate so that I can file? How would I go about doing this and how long would this process take?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Kamala Maddipoti

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An Administrator will be appointed in your case where the decedent died intestate that means without a will. If your mother fails to claim appointment, the court may appoint anyone who claim priority for appointment. You can also seek help from self help centers in filling required paper work.

    DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only. It doesn't constitute legal advice. This answer doesn't... more
  2. Todd Nathan Hendrickson


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to do two things. First, contact a probate attorney to open the estate. Second, have a malpractice attorney obtain and review the medical records.

    This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only. Providing this information does not... more
  3. William Peter Daley

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As the others have suggested you need to go to court and file the paperwork and asked the court to appoint you as the executor or Administrator of the estate.

    I will be happy to speak with you at no cost with a FREE phone consultation if you have a San Diego or California... more
  4. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really should hire a probate lawyer.
    Use the Find A Lawyer tab.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,461 answers this week

2,720 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,461 answers this week

2,720 attorneys answering