How do I get an increase in child support and annul a settlement and receive child support for a child from the marital father?

Asked over 2 years ago - Miami, FL

My son has called my ex "Dad" for 8 years and that is the only father he has known. Also I will move back to the US with my children from Europe since the country I live in does not have a child support agreement with the US.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Brent Allan Rose

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I don't understand your question. I don't even understand if the person you want child support from is the legal or biological father. We're you married to him when your child was born? You'll have to explain better before I can give you an answer.

    The contents of this answer should be considered friendly advice, not legal advice (I'm a pretty friendly guy),... more
  2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . More information is needed to accurately respond.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more
  3. Robert Jason De Groot


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I do not fully understand the question either. You cannot get child support from a step father unless the child was adopted by him. Where in the US are you going to move. You cannot just annul an agreement, where was the agreement entered into and did the court incorporate it into a final judgment? Far too many unanswered questions to make a stab at yours.

  4. David L. Hirsch


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Child support is awarded by FL courts based upon the financial circumstances of both biological or adoptive parents. FL does not recognize virtual adoptions. If your ex husband is not the biological parent of your child its not likely that you will be able to get a court to award support for your son from him despite the close relationship they created. You may want to hire someone who investigate the assets of the child's biological father.

    The response to questions posted on facebook which are responses to questions submitted by anonymous persons on AVVO are in no way intended to establish any form of attorney-client relationship with either the anonymous AVVO question submitters or any facebook readers nor should they rely on this information in any pending legal matter. The responses given are deemed as responses to general questions and fact scenarios posed as an educational exercise only, should in no way be deemed legal advice provided to any persons in states in which the author is not licensed to practice law or viewed as a solicitation of clients from those states in which the author is not duly licensed to practice law, should not been deemed as psychological counseling advice or psychological advice for which this author is in no way qualified to provide nor should any reader rely on any such information without first seeking advice from an attorney at law, licensed in the state of the reader’s residence in regard to any information posted or from a licensed qualified psychiatrist, psychologist, mental health employee, licensed clinical social worker, marriage counselor or other persons licensed by their respective state to provide mental health advice. To the best of the author’s knowledge the questions may well be generated for pedagogical purposes only and not necessarily posted from real persons seeking legal advice.

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,727 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,727 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering