Skip to main content

How do I get an Immigration judge hearing without being detained at the airport? afraid to leave the country & risk deportation.

Orlando, FL |

I am a resident alien, lived in the U.S since 1988 (Age 17). I am an Army veteran with no criminal history and have been married to my American husband for 21 years, we have 3 children (entire household is American except me-the only alien!) Applied for citizenship but it was denied stating lacked of good moral character and that I gave false testimony to obtain immigration benefits by claiming to be an American and voting in 1996 & 2000 general elections. My statements were misconstrued by immigration officials and my voting violation was not predicated on criminal intent, but due to ignorance of the law. I accompanied my husband during voter registration and the clerk assumed we both were there to register but NEVER asked if we were american citizens nor did we know it was illegal under my status.

Attorney Answers 1


Because of the perception that you misled government officials for voting twice in 1996 and 2000, and that you obtained immigration benefits by percieved false sworn statements, you have built some high hurdles for yourself that may take years to bring down.

Contact a local immigration lawyer - some may give you a short free consultation in your locale - to see if you have options. Time is probably the best option because your effort to apply for citizenship being denied is still likely somewhat fresh on the books.

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics