How do I get an extension on my court date so I can take a defensive driving class?

Gilbert, AZ |

About a month ago I got a moving traffic violation and my court date is in a week. I read that I could take the class within a week of my court date online. However, I misread it and realized I had to sign up for it 10 days prior. I called the courthouse and was told I would have to come in to my hearing and then ask for an extension. Is this hard to get? What should I say?

If you go to your court date and explain what happened, they will very likely give you time to take the class.

Contact the clerk of court, and explain everything to them. If they do give you a new court date make sure you get something in writing to verify the new court date.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

This same thing happened to me in Gilbert. Just go to the assigned court date and they will give you an additional eight weeks. Contacting the court will get you nowhere but the court hearing is extremely informal and brief. As far as what to say, just say that you want to go to traffic school. There will be a dozen or so other people doing the same thing.

You should show up to Court and explain what happened. If the Court is understanding, you are more likely than not to get the continuance. You may also need to have the prosecuting attorney on your side about things as well.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets