Skip to main content

How do I get an extension of discovery date in federal court for personal injury , no counsel will take case vs walmart ?

Las Vegas, NV |

Me vs walmart, I lack counsel, and no counsel wants the case since its in litigation phase, I have discovery deadline February 8, 2013.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I'm not going to repeat the good advice you have received from the thoughtful attorneys here because I agree. My contribution is that as of this date you still have several weeks. Do the discovery. GIve good faith accurate answers but keep them concise and brief. If you slam back the answers and documents within the deadline it will show just how serious you are about your case. Here is more on discovery: [Blue Link Below]

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


Simply ask for an extension. Usually common courtesy to give and receive reasonable requests for extensions.


Simply ask the court for more time--however, the "I don't have an attorney" argument only goes so far--the court is aware you don't have an attorney and that you decided to pass on getting one (for what may be perfectly legitimate reasons), but that does not mean the court will cut you much, if any slack.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


It seems odd that nobody wants to take on the case just because it is in 'litigation,' I would still recommend counsel, especially against a giant like Wal-Mart. But it is true that generally you can simply request an extension. I would caution you that these requests also only go so far. Best of luck.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer