How do I get an ex-parte PPO dropped against my husband in the state of Michigan?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ann Arbor, MI

Will there be a hearing? If so, is my husband required to attend?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You will need to file a Motion with the Court, and I would recommend your Husband attend, because the Judge will likely want to "assess" the overall situation to ensure you are doing this on your own accord, and not because your Husband threatened or coerced you to request dismissal of the PPO. I would respectfully recommend you be prepared to explain to the Judge why you thought you needed a PPO at one time, but now you no longer need it. Family Courts can be EXTREMELY leery of domestic violence cases, because of the propensity of the victim to "retract" their claims, even if the violence did in fact occur. I am not aware of what happended in your particular situation, but it is with the utmost respect I suggest your Husband may want to consider some type of anger management counseling/therapy if warranted. I wish you all the best of luck. Please stay safe, and GO BLUE! Warmest regards, Matt Catchick. If you find my reply assisted you, I would greatly appreciate you please marking it as "helpful."

  2. Joshua Duane Jones

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would advise that you follow Mr. Catchick's advice. The only other thing that I would add is sitting down with an attorney to discuss it with him or her. As you can see from Mr. Catchick's response there will be a hearing and testimony will be taken all in front of the judge and on the record. Make sure you are well prepared and equipped for the hearing. Best of luck.

  3. Gary Francis Kennedy II

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Call an attorney to help you with this. You need to be ready to ask lots of questions.

    Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
    Free Consultations

    Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship has been established. Please contact an attorney about your legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,256 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,256 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering