Skip to main content

How do I get an arbitrator award reopened with a new arbitration.

Las Vegas, NV |

I'm the victim. I arbitrated a case. I don't agree with his decision. How do I get it reopened with a new arbitration?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You probably don't.

    Arbitration awards generally can only be reversed under very limited circumstances, and your delay in trying to do so is another reason why your attempt is looking very challenging. To learn more about modifying/vacating an award take a look at NRS 38.242-43 (Nevada arbitration law) and 9 USC S 10 (federal arbitration law).

  2. More information would be helpful. Assuming your case was in the court annexed mandatory arbitration program, you can file a request for trial de novo. Your case will be put in the short trial program unless you remove it. There deadlines are fairly short, so you may need to act quickly. You might also want to discuss your case with an attorney.

  3. If it has been a few years, there is almost no chance you can get it reopened.

  4. There will need to be some very unusual circumstances if it has been years. Your best bet would be to talk to an arbitration attorney to see if there is any possibility.

    By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

Arbitration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics