Skip to main content

How do I get a warrant squashed in a different state than I live?

San Antonio, TX |

I recently found out about a warrant from 2001 for failure to appear. I didn't know any of this happened because at the time I was living in another state. I still live in a different state than where the warrant is. I can't afford an attorney right now but would like to get this handled. Can you give any suggestions?

Attorney Answers 2


Not really. And you can't get the warrant quashed. There should also be a warrant for whatever the underlying charge is. You should contact a bondsman in the area where the warrant is issued to confirm that there is a warrant. You should then call the place which issued the warrant and find out what it will take to get the warrant withdrawn. At a minimum you will be required to pay a fine.

Mark as helpful


Posting a bond in the state where the warrant is will cause a new court date to be set, which if don't travel there and appear, you'll get another warrant. If it is for traffic, you could contact that court and see what can work out, but other than that you need to hire an attorney in that state.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics