Skip to main content

How do i get a valid work permit and Drivers license if I fell out of status?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

I came to the US 15 years ago on a student visa and attended university. I'm almost done with my Masters Degree in Biology and I've worked in the field for 10 years now in management. I came out of status about 8 years ago so therefore my work permit and drivers license is expired.I still managed to stay under the radar at work but now i want to take another job offer but I need valid documents. What process can i take, if any, to acquire a new work permit and renew my drivers license and roughly how long will it take

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I'm sorry. None of the facts you have written support you getting a work permit.

Luckily, you haven't accrued unlawful presence due to special rules that apply to people who entered with F-1.

Talk to a lawyer, your only option may be to go home and return in 2015 with an H-1B.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer