How do i get a vacated eviction removed from my record?

Asked about 2 years ago - Glendale, CA

I just found out through trying to get a new apartment that I have an eviction on my record I thought had been removed. I lost the eviction in default and filed a suit against the former landlord for illegal lockout and other causes of actions. The outcome of the case was the default judgements were vacated and he paid me some money for my troubles.

Now I am having trouble getting an apartment even though I was told it was vacated and it shows so on the courts website. How can I get it removed from my record?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your situation is really lousy, but any eviction proceeding looks bad. The companies that put these records together presume that landlords do not want to rent to tenants who have made trouble for previous landlords, even if (or maybe especially if) the tenants have been vindicated.

    For this reason, the law requires that all unlawful detainers be closed to the public for 60 days. They remain closed unless within that time they end in a judgment for the landlord.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unlawful detainer records don't get removed. They are "masked" for the first 60 days after the complaint is filed. However, if you lost the unlawful detainer, it remains a matter of public record.

    The best you can do is to convince future landlords that you can be a good tenant, and perhaps offer the maximum security deposit (twice the monthly rent) to assure the landlord that you will be prompt in payment.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Renting property

Rentals are houses, apartments, or similar where the resident pays the building's owner for the right to live there, usually under the terms of a written lease.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,227 answers this week

2,872 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,227 answers this week

2,872 attorneys answering