How do I get a tenant out of an illegal apartment?

Paterson, NJ |

A friend built a studio apartment in the basement "not legally" and has someone living there for about a month but wants him out. The guy in the basement brought two big dogs to stay down there and my friend doesn't want to accept rent. He just wants him to leave but the guy keeps prolonging the move. How can he get this guy and dogs out immediately? Can he turn himself in for the illegal apartment so the tenant has to leave right away? Does him calling the fire inspector do anything? There has to be a way out of this...

1. Answer: Your "friend" should immediately consult with an experienced landlord tenant attorney as there is additional information which will need to be gathered in order to achieve the best possible resolution.

Please be advised that the information provided in this answer is for general informational purposes only. While we strive to ensure that the information is accurate, without knowledge of all of the facts of a particular matter, this Firm's information and answers are not guaranteed. Further, the Law Firm's answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you need further advice or wish to retain our Firm, please contact us by e-mail or phone.

2. I agree with the previous answer. The friend is liable for 6 months of rent to the tenant + additional cost. If the town finds out he may also get fined by them. It would be very beneficial for him to speak to an attorney on this matter.

3. Ms. Ginzburg hit it on the head. Your friend is going to have to move gingerly. I would have everything reviewed and see if there is another basis to get the tenant out and pray that the tenant is unaware of the penalty.

Landlord-tenant law topics