How do I get a student loan collection agency to stop calling me at work for someone I'm not?

Asked about 2 years ago - La Crosse, WI

For the past two months I have received a few calls from a collection agency saying that they are going to garnish my wages if i don't make a payment plan. BUT they are calling the wrong person; there is another person with my name (spelled differently) in my company. They have tried to confirm information with me but I wouldn't give anything out and I have told them three times not to call me at work I'm not this person they are looking for, and they basically called me a liar and said I need to pay. How do I make them stop calling me at work when I've told them several times not to? One woman even told me she will keep calling me since that number is on file.

1. Maxwell Charles Livingston

Pro

Answered . I agree with Mr. Sapir that you should write a cease and desist letter. If that doesn't work, you will need to hire someone to fight for you. You can email me if you would like help in this matter.

2. Michael J Corbin

1

1

Answered . First, if you advise them that you are not allowed to be contacted at work, they are legally required to cease calling you. That said, they probably won't stop. Why not simply tell the caller, "I'm not who you are looking for - let me connect you," and then forward the call to the correct person? Or, tell them, "Go ahead and garnish me - would you like me to connect you to the HR department so you can start that?" Let them send in the garnishment - if you really aren't the right person, they won't be able to garnish you since your SS# and DOB won't line up.

3. Eric Sapir

1

1

Answered . Instead of notifying the collection agency verbally that you are not that person, write them a cease and desist letter informing them that you are not the person they are looking for. If they continue to call you, then I suggest you contact an attorney.