Skip to main content

How do I get a restraining order against my ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend.

Seattle, WA |

I have never threatened my ex's new boyfriend or anything, but he's sent me at least 7 threatening text messages in the past 2-3 days. I don't want to call the cops, I want to file a civil action and/or a criminal complaint. Thank you.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Best answer

    You answered your own question.

    Bed of luck to you.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  2. Make a police report. Then either seek an order of protection or be willing to swear out a complaint for a request for a criminal action to be initiated.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics