How do I get a restraining order against my daughter's father, who she hasn't seen in 4 years & is now showing up at her school?

Windsor, NY |

My daughter tried to commit suicide last year and it was determined by her doctors that her father stay away from her at this time...he keeps showing up at school functions (hiding, of course). My daughter gets very upset about this, gets very anxious and then doesn't perform like she should because of it. Is there any way to get a restraining order against him? She has expressed that she does not want him around (she is 15). She has even written to him and left him a voicemail telling him how she feels and he won't stop. He's only trying to see her now because of her suicide attempt...because he feels guilty. He chose to walk away years ago and she doesn't want him around. Thank you.

Go to Family Court.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Family court.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.