How do I get a restraining order against my daughter's father, who she hasn't seen in 4 years & is now showing up at her school?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Windsor, NY

My daughter tried to commit suicide last year and it was determined by her doctors that her father stay away from her at this time...he keeps showing up at school functions (hiding, of course). My daughter gets very upset about this, gets very anxious and then doesn't perform like she should because of it. Is there any way to get a restraining order against him? She has expressed that she does not want him around (she is 15). She has even written to him and left him a voicemail telling him how she feels and he won't stop. He's only trying to see her now because of her suicide attempt...because he feels guilty. He chose to walk away years ago and she doesn't want him around. Thank you.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Answered . Go to Family Court.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  2. Answered . Family court.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more

Related Topics

Restraining order and criminal defense

A restraining order is a court order that requires you to do, or refrain from doing, certain actions. It is often used in stalking or domestic violence cases.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,060 answers this week

3,675 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,060 answers this week

3,675 attorneys answering