How do I get a quick divorce in MN?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Cloud, MN

Long story short, this an abusive marriage both emotionally, physically, and verbally. I have 3 children, one of which is his and was born before we got married. We have the normal household furniture, and a vehicle together. I would like the furniture to sell so I can get another place to live and he can stay in our current residence. The car can be his. I worked all of last year 2012 and made 22000 and he made a lil over 1000 last year but owes 7000 in back child support. I had to do an injured spouse and want the full refund to be mine with maybe giving him 1000 of it. I want a clean and fast out, I want full physical and legal custody of my daughter, and I need to know if this is possible.

Also, what is the average cost to have a lawyer do the paperwork for me? I would go to legal aid but there is literally a 2 year wait for a laywer. I get 189 in unemployment a week and I have yet to know when I will get my taxes....

1. Tricia Dwyer

1

Answered . Hello. It is not allowed to post prices on this website. Some attorneys, myself included, will provide 'limited scope' legal services (this is also known as 'unbundled legal services') to help you in your divorce. I suggest you google those terms for descriptions. Also, some attorneys, myself included, will confer with you at no charge, for free, initially. And then, some attorneys, myself included, will provide a reduced fee for your financial need. Definitely, I do urge you to seek legal advice and attorney assistance in preparing your divorce. As an active attorney volunteer myself, I empathize with what you stated about obtaining free legal services. All the best to you and your daughter.

2. Christian Ryan Peterson

1

Answered . Having a quick divorce depends entirely on how well the two of you cooperate in dividing your property. If both of you agree on all issues, you can file a joint petition for divorce and the matter can be handled in a short period of time fairly inexpensively. If not, the. The matter has to go through the normal court process.

I caution you that fast divorces are not always in your best interest, especially with some of the demands you've already listed. I suggest you consult with an attorney to formulate a strategy that is in your best interests.

3. Sara Marie Grant Rojas

Answered . You should consult with an attorney right away. I also offer free consultations. Settling the divorce quickly will depend on reaching an agreement with your husband. It sounds as if property will not be a highly contentious issue, but custody might be. 612-206-3722

4. William Emil Cassara

Pro

1

Answered . Ms. Dwyer provides excellent guidance. I would follow it.