How do i get a public defender or court appointed lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

How do i go about getting a public defender or a court appointed lawyer for mg babyfather whose pre-trial is April 10th. Who do i call? What would i need to do?

1. Matthew Paul Scheitrum

6

Answered . Talk to the Philadelphia Defender's Association. You will have to provide proof of his lack of ability to pay for a lawyer. Call them today, to give them as much time as possible to both take him on as a client, and meet with him before his hearing date.

2. Robert C. Keller

6

Answered . If he is incarcerated and cannot afford a private lawyer, he will be appointed one and you will not need to be involved. If he is on the street, he should call them at 215-568-3190.

3. Lidia L. Alperovich

Pro

3

Answered . Depending on the county,k you have to qualify financially

4. Michael R Crosner

4

Answered . If you qualify financially often you apply through the PD's office prior to first appearance & in some state it is done on the say of arraignment (prior to entering a plea). Contact a local PA criminal attorney for advice - many do not charge a fee for an initial consultation. I am a California attorney not licensed in PA and not familiar with their laws & procedure. Good luck

5. Mark Copoulos

Pro

2

Answered . Go to the second floor of the Criminal Justice Center. At the information center tell them you cannot afford a lawyer. They will direct you to the PD who will evaluate whether your babyfather is eligible. If not, consider an attorney who will provide affordable and personal representation. I practice Criminal Defense in Philadelphia. Do not hesitate to contact me if you wish to discuss this matter.