How do I get a public defender?

Asked 4 months ago - Willow Grove, PA

I am a 20 year old male and I was charged with a DUI in Montgomery County, PA (First offense) as well as an underage drinking charge. This is my first offense of any kind. I am a full-time college student and have a part-time job. My Preliminary arrainment and hearing are a month and a half away and I would like to meet with an attorney prior to going to court to discuss my options (ARD, etc.). I am currently living with my parents, however, they are not willing to pay for a private attorney, which I completely understand. Would I be eligible for a public defender based off my finances alone?

1. Zachary Cooper

2

Answered . You would have to apply for a public defender in Montgomery County to make sure you qualify. Call 610-278-3000 and ask to be connected to their offices tomorrow.

2. Douglas Lee Dolfman

2

Answered . You really need to hire a private atty to make sure you get in the ard program. Sounds like you have some time to get it all together. Many attorneys such as myself who practice in montco usually will give u a free consultation and would charge a reasonable fee to handle your case. You should at least meet with any private attorney you decide and talk with them about your case.

3. Geoffrey David Hood

Pro

1

Answered . You can contact the public defenders office to see whether you qualify for representation. You may also want to meet with some local attorneys because it may within your finances.

4. Mark Copoulos

Pro

1

Answered . Here is the problem: if you go with a public defender you may not be able to speak with them before your trial. It depends on the quality of the PD's in Willow Grove.

Your best bet is to find a lawyer you like and then prepare for trial. Good luck.

5. Theodore H. Swan Jr.

Pro

Answered . You have received helpful advice from my colleagues. You may call the PDs office and find out if you might qualify for a PD. Your finances are the determining factor. You also have plenty of time to talk to private attorneys. Remember that you cannot choose your PD like you can a private attorney. Good luck.