Skip to main content

How do I get a pretrial diversion?

Schererville, IN |

I was recently charged with conversion in Schererville Indiana at a local Walmart the total of the items were $99. I have never been charged or convicted of a crime before I was arrested. I learned my lesson and now just want this to stay off of my record. I am a college student and I was told a pretrial diversion is an option with the help of a private attorney. I was also told I may not qualify for a public attorney because the campus job I have is paying for my college but I do technically still make a very low income of about $200 a month. Do I need a private attorney? Is a pretrial diversion even possible without the help of a private attorney? Would a public defender push for a pretrial diversion for me? What should I do?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You should definitely inquire into pretrial diversion. You can contact the court prosecutor to see whether you might qualify. If so, you do not HAVE to have an attorney to enter into the agreement, but remember that the prosecutor represents the other side, so consult with a private attorney or public defender if you have any questions.

  2. On your facts, you certainly qualify for pretrial diversion and you do not need a private attorney. There is a fee for participating in the program, usually $150.00. Good luck!

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

  3. Pretrial Diversion is a program offered by the prosecutor's office. The prosecutor represents the State of Indiana and is your adversary in this case. However, given the facts of your case, I would presume that you would be offered pretrial diversion at your initial hearing or at a pre-trial conference.

    It would be beneficial to contact the prosecutor's office and inquire about your eligibility for pretrial diversion. You may need the assistance of a private attorney (or public defender) if the prosecutor's office does not offer you pre-trial diversion.

    Gregory Miller

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics