How do i get a permanent restraining order dropped?

Asked over 1 year ago - Olympia, WA

I had a restraining order put on me 20 years ago, and I never knew until November 2012 when i applied for a weapon permit. I do not live in Olympia anymore, I live in Tampa FL, and want to get this dropped. I was not aware, I am not violent, do not have a criminal record, and not Domestic Violence, plus I never ever threatened this person in any way, ever.

Thank you, Keith

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . A few years ago, the WA Supreme Court held that a lifetime restraining order is likely unlawful. The courts can still issue lifetime restraining orders but only in very specific circumstances.

    You can review the specific facts with your attorney to see whether you can ask the court to vacate the order from 20 years ago.

    If you and the alleged victim have not had any problems with each other in the last 20 years, you may have a very good chance of having that order vacated.

  2. Peter Jaret Abbarno


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the previous responses. Lifetime restraining orders are very disfavored. Traditionally, both parties can move the court jointly for the release of a restraining order. Consult an attorney about your specific order and circumstances.

    Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The... more
  3. Patrick Owen Earl


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Hire an attorney in the area where your restraining order is from and fight it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,615 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,615 answers this week

2,948 attorneys answering