How do i get a permanent restraining order dropped?

Olympia, WA |

I had a restraining order put on me 20 years ago, and I never knew until November 2012 when i applied for a weapon permit. I do not live in Olympia anymore, I live in Tampa FL, and want to get this dropped. I was not aware, I am not violent, do not have a criminal record, and not Domestic Violence, plus I never ever threatened this person in any way, ever.

Thank you, Keith

1. A few years ago, the WA Supreme Court held that a lifetime restraining order is likely unlawful. The courts can still issue lifetime restraining orders but only in very specific circumstances.

You can review the specific facts with your attorney to see whether you can ask the court to vacate the order from 20 years ago.

If you and the alleged victim have not had any problems with each other in the last 20 years, you may have a very good chance of having that order vacated.

2. Hire an attorney in the area where your restraining order is from and fight it.

3. I agree with the previous responses. Lifetime restraining orders are very disfavored. Traditionally, both parties can move the court jointly for the release of a restraining order. Consult an attorney about your specific order and circumstances.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship. www.centralialaw.com

Domestic violence topics