How do I get a letter of administration.

Asked about 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

My husband passed away without a will. We received some checks from mortgage company and I need to have it reissue in my name. They need proof such as the above letter.

1. Daniel J. Krause

2

Answered . If there is going to be a probate, you need to get Domiciliary Letters from the Court after you start a probate case.
    However, if everything was owned together with your husband, and there will be no probate, then you can use a Circuit Court Form PR-1831 (link to download page below). The form can be completely and properly filled out, and signed by you, then you can take care of these types of things.

2. Aaron J. Foley

2

Answered . I agree with Attorney Krause's answer to your question and just wanted to add a few practical tips. The The Wisconsin Circuit Court Form PR-1831 (Transfer-by-Affidavit) can only be used if the the checks you are seeking to have reissued in your name are worth less than $50,000. Your signature on the form must be notarized. Finally, send the original checks back to the mortgage company with the completed and signed Transfer-by-Affidavit and ask if they want a death certificate as well. Best of luck and sorry for your loss.