How do I get a guardian for a friend who has end stage liver cancer?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Haverhill, MA

he has no relatives and lives by himself

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 12

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Capacity for the purpose of medical decision making is a pretty low bar. It just means that he has the ability to make informed decisions about his care (even if those decisions might not be ones you'd agree with).

    If your friend has enough capacity to be able to make his own medical decisions, he should work with an elder law or estate planning attorney to get his affairs in order. He should have a Health Care Proxy, which will appoint the person of his choice to make medical decisions in the event of incapacity. He should have a HIPAA Release, so that the person(s) of his choice can help him with medical and insurance issues if he's competent but weak. He also should have a Durable Power of Attorney, so that someone can help him with his financial and legal affairs. And finally, he needs a will -- if he has any property and no family, he needs to be sure that someone will have the authority to dispose of his assets after death and leave specific, legally binding instructions about who to give those assets to.

    If he doesn't have capacity, you'd need to file guardianship at the Probate Court. You'd need to either have a medical certificate or ask the court to order an examination. Information and forms are here: This procedure takes time -- and if your friend has capacity now, should be avoided in favor of getting the necessary legal documents and counseling.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are... more
  2. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . How awful for your friend. The first question is: what is the extent of his incapacity? If he is unable due to illness to make decisions regarding his medical treatment or daily care, then a guardian is needed. If he is unable to due illness to make decisions regarding his financial affaors, then a conservator is needed.

    In either case, a physician will need to attest to your friend's disability and/or inability to make these decisions, and then a petition seeking the appointment of either (or both) needs to be filed with the Probate & Family Court in the county where your friend lives, together with the physician's certificate. The petition will seek the appointment of the guardian/conservator, presumably you, at this point, to make those decisions on your friend's behalf.

    You should consult with an attorney in this field.

    Best wishes to you and your friend.

    No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Can you get a power of attorney and health care proxy from your friend

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more
  4. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The first issue is whether your friend still has capacity to make his own decisions. His doctor should be able to advise you as to capacity. If he has capacity, he can sign a Power of Attorney for Healthcare so you (or whoever he chooses) can handle his medical decisions and Power of Attorney for Property for financial matters. If he does not have capacity, someone will need to file a guardianship to act for him. If he is near death, you might be able to get a temporary guardianship that goes into effect right away, instead of 60-90 days timeframe for most guardianship cases. If you wish to act as his guardian, you would be the petitioner and you should hire an attorney for this process. A state agency or private agency can also step in and act for him; this usually depends on his assets.

Related Topics

Guardianship and child custody

A guardianship is a legal arrangement for who will have custody and be responsible for the care of child, or "ward." The guardian acts in the child's interests.

Estate planning

Estate planning refers to the process in which you decide and document what happens to your assets after you die, by making things like wills or trusts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,218 answers this week

3,831 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,218 answers this week

3,831 attorneys answering