Skip to main content

How do I get a doctors office to stop sending me a bill when I did not go there... Its a missed Apt that I did not make..

Plattsburgh, NY |

I moved into my town in feb of 2012... In April I started receiving bills for my self and my husband missed appt.. We never made the appt.. I called them and they said oh well suck it up and pay.. Now what do I do... I am not paying a bill that I never even did.. Our insurance cards that were mailed were never received and I think they got our names and address info from that. Please help.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You are always best putting it in writing and sending via certified mail RRR so that there is a record that you dispute the charges. Check your credit reports and alert them if it appears that you disputed the claim.

    I do NOT know you. I am NOT your lawyer. This answer is provided for the general public who may have similar queries. The answer provided is NOT definitive. I do NOT know all of the facts of your case and NO attorney-client relationship is established. Please do not use my answer to tell your lawyer what to do. Free advise is worth exactly what you are paying. Trust the lawyer who is charging you for his/her time and expertise. If you can no longer trust your lawyer, then hire someone else. I am always interested in new clients and business opportunities and would welcome your call or email to discuss matters further. For more information, please feel free to visit my website or schedule an appointment.

  2. Many doctors charge for missed appointments, unless the appointment is cancelled early enough for them to schedule another client.

    If an appointment was made by the doctor, for you the patient, it likely has the same effect as if the patient has made the appointment, and under the cancellation policy, there may be a charge.

    What is missing from your inquiry, is whether or not this is your doctor, or is it a strange new doctor that, out of the blue, someone made an appointment for you, which seems a rather odd situation.

    You should probably try again, to talk to this doctor, to get an explanation, or an end to this billing.

    General legal advice is offered for educational purposes only. A consultation with a qualified attorney is required to determine specific legal advice as to your situation and applicable law. We are a debt relief agency and we help people file for relief under the bankruptcy laws.

  3. Are you sayng you never made the appointment? How can that be if they have your billing information? Doctors can charge for missed appointments. If you did not make the appointment, dispute the bill in writing and then forget about it until they sue you, whcih I doubt they will.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. It is best to write letters citing calls that you made. Thus, I would recommend calling the doctor's office, objecting to the bill, requesting the name of the person to whom you are speaking, and then document the content of your call in a letter. Be sure to put in the letter an objection to the bill, disputing the same. You also have the right to demand support for the claim, which I would do, orally and in writing.