Skip to main content

How do I get a divorce when my husband refuses to sign divorce papers?

Bellingham, WA |
Filed under: Divorce

Over two year ago I left my husband and the state he was in because of domestic violence. Before I left I filled out and signed divorce papers concerning a absolute divorce. But my husband disputed and refuses to grant me a divorce. Also he has forged my name and social security number on a number of documents and has racked up much debt under my name. All I want is a simple divorce and for him to pay all the bills he has caused. I cannot afford a lawyer because I am physically unable to work.What shall I do?
L. Rogers

Attorney Answers 1


It's not up to your husband to "grant" you a divorce. Contact the court where the divorce was filed and ask the clerk's office how to set a trial date. Make sure it's a date when you know you'll be able to attend and make sure your husband gets notice of the trial date. Let the clerk's office know that it is a DV situation so your address stays confidential (if it's currently confidential). On the trial date, the judge will grant the divorce and deal with financial issues. If the husband fails to appear for trial, too bad for him. The court will grant the divorce anyway and will have no choice but to grant you the relief you are seeking from the court.

Good luck.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics