HOW DO I GET A COURT APPOINTED LAWYER OR A PUBLIC DEFENDER IF MY FAMILY CAN NO LONGER AFRORD THE LAWYER THEY HIRED?

Asked about 2 years ago - Raleigh, NC

I HAD A COURT APPOINTED LAWYER, BUT MY FAMILY THOUGHT IT TO BE IN MY BEST INTEREST TO GO WITH A PAID LAWYER, HOW CAN I GO ABOUT GETTING A COURT APPOINTED LAWYER OR A PUBLIC DEFENDER IF MY FAMILY CAN NO LONGER MAKE THEIR PAYMENTS.? HELP!!!

1. Dustin R. T. Sullivan

Answered . If you are unable to make further payments to your private attorney, let him/her know and on the next court date, fill out an affidavit for a court appointed attorney. Most counties will have this form in the clerks office. If not, go into the courtroom on the day of court, your attorney should make a motion to withdraw, you will consent and ask the court for the opportunity to be afforded a court appointed attorney. Many judges will not grant you one though if the case has some age to it (for example, if you are on your third or fourth setting then you should be prepared not to be granted one). Hopefully you will be awarded one. Good luck!

Any advice given does not enter the Attorney and person asking the question into any privileged relationship.
  2. Damon John Chetson

Answered . If the private lawyer made an appearance on the case, it's unlikely he will be released even if you did not fully pay him. If it's early in the case, at the next court date ask the judge to appoint you a lawyer. You'll need to fill out an affidavit. If the case has age and is not a serious felony, the judge may require you to proceed on your own because you waived your right to a court appointed lawyer early on.