How do I get a copy of the separation agreement from my wi fe's attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Winchester, VA

I received a separation agreement drafted by my wife's attorney last week. Because we have no property, no children, and the agreement clearly waves spousal support now and forever I am not concerned with the contents of the agreement.

However, the agreement I received was not signed by my wife yet. If I were to put my notorized signature to this document and mail it back to my wife's attorney, can I force my wife's attorney to send a copy of the agreement with both signatures or can he just hold onto it and refuse to give me a copy until she files for divorce (just in case she changes her mind) only to shred it? How will i know if she has signed the document? I would be left with no proof unless I get a copy right?

What I am worried about is signing this and never getting a copy of it.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Stephanie Michelle Sauer


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are well within your right to request a fully executed (both parties have signed) original copy. If you received only one copy for purposes of signing from opposing counsel, I recommend photocopying the agreement for at least one additional copy. Sign both copies and return to opposing counsel. Request via letter that opposing party sign both copies and that one be returned to you for your records. Typically, three or five original copies are signed. The court needs one original and I like to ensure that at least both parties have an original.

  2. Mohamed E Seifeldein

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . You can request a copy and they should give it to you with out any issues. I just feel better if you set a meeting and sign it at the same time.

    The response to this question is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship.... more

Related Topics

Legal separation and divorce

A legal separation and a divorce are different because a separation does not end the marriage. Spouses live apart and remain married.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,806 answers this week

3,508 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,806 answers this week

3,508 attorneys answering