How do I get a copy of my estoppel agreement?

My past landlord sold the property and I was asked to sign an estoppel. We had a verbal agreement for access to a storage space and it was stated in the estoppel. Both past and current landlords signed it as well. Now the management company says they cannot locate any copies of the form and is attempting to charge me for the space. How can I get a copy of it? Do I legally get access to documents I've signed?

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

You can request your current landlord to provide you a copy, if she/he has this item in the file. Otherwise, you can contact your former landlord, or the escrow company that handled the sales transactions, to see if they can assist you with this. In the future, you should always make a copy of the documents you sign and keep them in your file.

I do have a copy that I filled out, signed and scanned it but it is not signed by all parties as the management never gave a completed copy to us or to the former landlord. How do I go about finding the escrow information?

Robin Mashal

Robin Mashal

(See Disclaimers Above): Title insurance companies can look up the vesting deed and TD and based on their notations find out which escrow handled the transaction. Before doing that, it would be worthwhile to approach the current landlord because the estoppel certificate was probably intended for her/him. Avvo.com allows you to select a "best answer" for your question. If you feel my answer was the best, please give me that vote.

Thank you but we have no contact with the current landlord. Only the management.

I agree with Mr Marshall. I have a few additional thoughts. The question is a little vague as to when these events occurred. And, I am not sure what you mean by "estoppel." The concept is not usually used as it is in the question. Assuming it's some kind of agreement that prevented your former landlord for charging you for the storage space? It's a little tough to analyze without seeing the agreement.
Your use of the term "estoppel" makes me think that you've been using this space without charge for some time. If that's the case, be sure to present that fact in writing to the new manager and owner as well as evidence of the same (canceled checks for instance).
I don't think there is a bright line rule that states that you are entitled to receive a copy of the document at issue. If you still have a relationship with your former landlord, or can contact him/her, try doing so. As you have now learned the hard way- be sure to keep everything you have ever signed.
An attorney could likely assist you with this. It all comes down to a cost-benefit analysis as to whether retention of one would be worth the expense.
Best of luck to you!

This communication may be considered attorney advertising. Previous results are not a guarantee of future outcome.No Attorney Client Relationship The use of any content provided on this site and your provision or submission of any information while using this site will not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Ms. Asselin. Please be aware that any information that you provide by reason of your use of this site is not privileged or confidential.The content of this site is provided solely for informational purposes: it is not intended as and does not constitute legal advice. The information contained herein should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for consultation with legal, accounting, tax, career and/or other professional advertising.

Landlord-tenant topics