How do I get a copy of my dads will? He died almost 3 years ago in another state. I think some crap is being pulled

Asked almost 2 years ago - Carson City, NV

Iam an only child except for some step sisters who got nothing when their mom passed so they've latched onto my dad, plus out of the clear blue sky 1 year before he died none of his family knew where they had put him, in what home, and after 42 years another daughter pops up?

1. Peter Vincent Arcese

4

Answered . You could check with an attorney in the relevant state if there is a court proceeding to compel production of a Will. In NY, we have a proceeding under SCPA Section 1401, so you might see if there is a similar proceeding available. In addition, concealing a Will can be a very serious thing. Again, in NY, unlawfully concealing a Will can be a felony.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Yes-you are entitled to a copy of the will.
    If someone has possession of the document-it must be filed with the court.
    You should hire an attorney to force the person holding the will to comply with this requirement.
    However-after three years -it is doubtful if your dad had any assets just in his name and you may have waited too long to try to prove "foul play" in someone taking advantage of your dad in his last few months of life.

3. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . I agree with the prior responses. How do you know that your father had a Will? If he did, it may have been filed with the probate court in the county where he resided. If he did not have a Will, the state intestate code would apply. Not sure if that would be Nevada or not, because your facts do not state where your dad lived. You have a complicated set of facts with many possible heirs or non-heirs. (Most states do not recognize step-siblings as heirs.) You have also waited a long time to do anything, which could definitely affect your rights. One thing you might try before going any further, is to check the property records for your father's home. That may help you understand what has transpired. If the house is titled in your dad's name alone, then probate would be necessary to take care of it. I am not sure why you have waited so long, but in that case, you should hire an attorney and file to open an estate, as soon as possible.

If you determine that the property was jointly owned, or there was a deed leaving it to someone else, then you need to meet with an attorney to determine if there is anything left you can do. In that case, setting aside the deed may be difficult, or impossible, if the statute of limitations has run.

James Frederick