Skip to main content

How do I get a copy of my current parenting plan?

Tacoma, WA |

My husband & I are relocating to Hawaii from Washington because he got a job. I need to know what I can do in order to take my son with me

Attorney Answers 1


If you were divorced in Pierce County you can google "pierce county LINX" and get to the Pierce County court's website. You can look yourself up by name or case number. You can download a copy of your current parenting plan. If this doesn't work you can go to the courthouse, to the clerk's office, and pay for them to make you a copy.

All Washington plans contain warnings about the notice a primary parent has to give to the other parent before moving out of their current school district. The forms are available on the website on the "court forms" page. If you do not file and serve notice, that would be a basis for the court to swap out the primary parent. Be prepared to pay for half or more of your child's transportation costs, and also be prepared to have your child spend larger chunks of time with his dad, to make up for the loss of more frequent contact.

The presumption is that the residential placement as ordered in your original final parenting plan will continue, with adjustments/modifications to the residential schedule. But please review this before you leave as the consequences could be unpleasant. Family law looks simple and straightforward, but it is not. This would be a very good time for a consult with a local family law attorney.

Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics