Skip to main content

How do I get a copy of my contract of a gym membership? If they will not give me a copy.

Sacramento, CA |

Gym won't give me a copy of my contract. Even though I have asked for one and have been a member of the gym for a few months.

Attorney Answers 2


I have free sample letters for consumers in the link, below, on a website. Take one of the letters such as 2.3 which is to cancel a sale and revise it to state that you request a copy of the contract and send that by U.S. Certified Mail, return receipt requested. In your letter, explain that you were never given a copy of the contract in violation of Civil Code Section 1812.82 and if they do not give you a complete copy of the contract within ten days, then you consider the contract cancelled, as they violated the Law for "Contracts for Health Studio Services." If after 10 days you don't have a copy, stop paying and stop going and send a second letter to that effect.

In addition, I'd suggest that both letters refer to the Consumer Contract Awareness Act, which at Civil Code Section 1799.202 requires that the contract for consumer goods or services be delivered at the time of entering the transaction or within 10 days. Subdivision (b) also requires delivery of the contract to the consumer within a reasonable time of the consumer's written request. This law allows the seller to charge a reasonable copying fee and require that it be paid to deliver the copy, so I'd add to your letter that you will pay a reasonable fee for the copy.

It's easy to get caught up in signing contracts for a new fitness center, car, lease, or other big ticket item, but never allow the seller to forget to give you a copy of all documents at that time, including the actual credit application. It should be one of those things that should be on everyone's list to get when they buy something.

Robert Stempler (please see DISCLAIMER below)
Twitter: @RStempler

NOTICE: The above statements are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended as legal advice or advice of any sort for a specific case or legal matter. If you do not have a signed attorney-client fee agreement with the Consumer Law Office of Robert Stempler, APC ("the Firm"), then until such written fee agreement is provided and signed by both a prospective client and attorney for a particular case, neither Mr. Stempler nor the Firm will represent you nor will they be your attorney in any matter and you remain responsible for retaining your own attorney and for compliance with any and all deadlines and for any statutes of limitations that may pertain to potential claims. Comments made on a public forum, such as, to not have any confidentiality because others may read them. If you desire a private consultation with Mr. Stempler that is confidential, please go to and submit a free eCase Review. The result portrayed for a client was dependent on the facts of that case. Results will differ if based on different facts. The Firm and Mr. Stempler are a debt relief agency. The Firm and Mr. Stempler help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment

Scott Richard Kaufman

Scott Richard Kaufman


Perfectly stated.


Do note, if they refuse to give you a copy (after you've written) then you may have legal recourse against them, which may include them having to pay your attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics