How do i gain access to a court blocked bank account (till age 18) so i can withdraw the funds into a private account?

Asked over 4 years ago - Temecula, CA

I broke my leg when i was 2 at a city ran jolly-jump, after the settlement and medical fees passed i had 5000$ put into a trust fund account till i turn 18 (04/29/2011), i was wondering if i could get a court ordered waiver to get access to the money now, in order to finish my driving school, get a car, pay for insurance, and pursue a career.
Any advice?
(i am 16 and a half at the moment)

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Any access to a blocked account would have to be granted by the probate court. You will have to petition the court and explain your circumstances.

    This does not constitute legal advice. To give legal advice I would have to interview you and receive all of the facts about your specific situation, and be retained as your counsel. Unless, and until this happens, I am not your attorney.

    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

  2. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should try to see the actual terms of the trust. Perhaps the trust provisions give the trustee the authority to pay for the items in question. If not, the prior attorney is correct as far as petitioning the court for such payments.

    Hope this helps.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,909 answers this week

2,729 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,909 answers this week

2,729 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary