How do I found out if my dead father left any money for me

Tucson, AZ |

My Father was a veteran and buried in National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
Phoenix. I am 57 years of age. Would there be any pension benefits that would go to me or other funds?

1. Sorry for your loss.
    How long ago did your father pass away?
    You can check the county probate records in the county
    that he resided to see if a probate case was established.
    If he had created a trust-the trustee should have contacted you.
    Military pensions either end with his death or spouses death.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

2. I agree with Attorney Pippen. You might also want to check with the State's unclaimed property division.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

3. Did your father have a surviving spouse? If so, the pension benefits would go to the surviving spouse. Otherwise, I agree with the other attorneys.

Who buried your dad?

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Wills and estates topics