How do i find out who the lawyer is handling my grandmothers will

Asked almost 2 years ago - Little Falls, NY

i was named the exsecutor on my grandmothers will along with my mother, she has recently passed away and my mother refuses to give me a copy of the will or the lawyers info. I know what my grandmothers wishes are and they are not being met. athe house she lived in was to be sold and no one to reside in in, curently my brother is in it and has caused alot of trouble involving police.

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Robert A. Stumpf

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Maybe I am not understanding, but you are the executor and can't see the will? It's impossible to be an executor of an estate if you don't know how the the estate is supposed to be administered. If you have to, request that the Surrogate involved requires your mother to turn over the information you need to carry out your responsibilities (the will of course.)

  2. Richard Albert Luthmann


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In order to officially receive Letters Testamentary and become the executor, a probate petition would need to be filed at the Surrogate's Court. If you were named as co-Executor under the will, you would have to be noticed. If your mother is being difficult, you may consider sending her a certified letter 1) stating that you know that you were named as a fiduciary of the estate 2) demanding that she provide a copy of the will, and 3) stating failure to do so will result in the hiring of an attorney.

    You should consult with a lawyer knowledgeable with probate.

    This answer is made for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that... more
  3. Steven J. Fromm

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Stumph. If you are a co-executor then you have been designated officially with the Register of Wills. This does not sound right. You need to meet with an estates attorney in your area for a face to face meeting to explore your rights and legal options. Do this today without fail.

    Hope this helps.

    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336, his email address is , for more tax, estate and business articles visit his website and blog

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia... more
  4. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Both attorneys offer sound advice-make an appointment with an attorney.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more
  5. Lawrence A Friedman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the will names you as executor or co-executor, it can't properly be probated without your involvement. To determine whether the will has been probated, you can contact the Surrogate's Court. If your mother is holding a will on which you are named executor, you may need to bring a court claim, which would be in Surrogate's Court.

  6. Joseph Allen Bollhofer

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your mother's lawyer filed the probate petition with the surrogate's
    court (in the county where your grandmother lived), the lawyer's name and
    info will be on it. In order for your mother to have authority to act on
    behalf of the estate, the petition has to be filed and approved by the
    court. If you were named as co-executor in the will, your mother should not
    be appointed by the court without you also being appointed (unless you
    renounced your right in writing). Based on your facts, it sounds like your
    mother has not filed the petition yet. If the two of you don't get along, it
    is not likely that the court would appoint both of you. You should consult
    with a lawyer.

    Joseph A. Bollhofer, Esq.

    Joseph A. Bollhofer, P.C.

    291 Lake Ave.

    St. James, NY 11780


    fax (631)584-2304

    Member, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA)

    This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are
    not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return
    e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not
    the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering
    the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
    dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly

    IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax
    advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not
    intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i)
    avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting,
    marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter
    addressed herein.

    Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed
    to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be
    deemed to have been created.

    Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,174 answers this week

3,154 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,174 answers this week

3,154 attorneys answering