How do I find out the result of a judgement filed against me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I just saw on my credit report in my public records section that judgment was filled against me in 2009 for a college debt of 11,000. I was never served or contacted by a collector. How do I find out the result?if I had a court hearing? I have a docket number but can't find anything. Am I too late to do anything about it?who do I contact to take care of this debt or negotiate a payment plan?

1. Michael Evan Greenspan

9

Answered . You need to go down to the County Clerk's office where the judgment was filed and request the file on your case. Bring change with you (lots of quarters) and photocopy all of the paperwork in the file. Look for the affidavit of service that was filed. The affidavit must list how you were served and the manner in which you were served. If you believe that the statements in the affidavit are false and especially if you can back up your claims with evidence, you may have grounds to have the judgment vacated.

For example, if the affidavit of service states that you were served at an address and you can demonstrate that you never resided there, and thus would have had no reason to know about the suit, you will be in a position to seek to have the judgment vacated. Once you have copies of the County Clerk's file, you can sit down with an attorney (contact your local county Bar Association for a referral) and determine if you have sufficient grounds to proceed to file an application to vacate the judgment.

Alternatively, you are free to call the lawyers who handled the case and obtained the judgment and see if you are able to negotiate a payment plan with them. You may also wish to consult with a bankruptcy attorney and determine if bankruptcy is a viable option for you.

Good Luck

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

7

Answered . Go to the courthouse and pull the file. Make a copy of the entire file and bring it to an experienced lawyer to review and consider your options.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

5

Answered . Most courts nowadays post all the records online. Your credit report should contain enough information about the judgment for you to follow the trail of breadcrumbs to the correct courthouse where you can review the entire file. Hope this perspective helps!

4. Yefim Rubinov

3

Answered . Consult a lawyer right away.

5. Darryl Wayne Genis

3

Answered . Contact a Debtor's rights attorney. This is a very specialized area of law, and an attorney who practices in this area will certainly be able to help you.

6. Michael Stephen Wilensky

3

Answered . Do you know the County in which the Judgment was obtained? If you do know the County, go to the Courthouse and ask the Clerk of the Court to let you look at the file for your case. Also, the clerk should be able to look up by your last name.

Make sure to check how the Plaintiff obtained service on you. In Georgia, it must be delivered to you or to a person in your household above the age of 18. If you were not served properly, you can move to have the Judgment removed.