How do I find out the result of a judgement filed against me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

I just saw on my credit report in my public records section that judgment was filled against me in 2009 for a college debt of 11,000. I was never served or contacted by a collector. How do I find out the result?if I had a court hearing? I have a docket number but can't find anything. Am I too late to do anything about it?who do I contact to take care of this debt or negotiate a payment plan?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Michael Evan Greenspan

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to go down to the County Clerk's office where the judgment was filed and request the file on your case. Bring change with you (lots of quarters) and photocopy all of the paperwork in the file. Look for the affidavit of service that was filed. The affidavit must list how you were served and the manner in which you were served. If you believe that the statements in the affidavit are false and especially if you can back up your claims with evidence, you may have grounds to have the judgment vacated.

    For example, if the affidavit of service states that you were served at an address and you can demonstrate that you never resided there, and thus would have had no reason to know about the suit, you will be in a position to seek to have the judgment vacated. Once you have copies of the County Clerk's file, you can sit down with an attorney (contact your local county Bar Association for a referral) and determine if you have sufficient grounds to proceed to file an application to vacate the judgment.

    Alternatively, you are free to call the lawyers who handled the case and obtained the judgment and see if you are able to negotiate a payment plan with them. You may also wish to consult with a bankruptcy attorney and determine if bankruptcy is a viable option for you.

    Good Luck

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for... more
  2. Jayson Lutzky


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to the courthouse and pull the file. Make a copy of the entire file and bring it to an experienced lawyer to review and consider your options.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
  3. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Most courts nowadays post all the records online. Your credit report should contain enough information about the judgment for you to follow the trail of breadcrumbs to the correct courthouse where you can review the entire file. Hope this perspective helps!

  4. Yefim Rubinov

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult a lawyer right away.

  5. Darryl Wayne Genis

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Contact a Debtor's rights attorney. This is a very specialized area of law, and an attorney who practices in this area will certainly be able to help you.

  6. Michael Stephen Wilensky

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do you know the County in which the Judgment was obtained? If you do know the County, go to the Courthouse and ask the Clerk of the Court to let you look at the file for your case. Also, the clerk should be able to look up by your last name.

    Make sure to check how the Plaintiff obtained service on you. In Georgia, it must be delivered to you or to a person in your household above the age of 18. If you were not served properly, you can move to have the Judgment removed.

Related Topics

Debt collection and debt settlement

If you face debt collection you may choose to fight it and defend against garnishment. You may also seek debt settlement as a way to negotiate with creditors.

Ryan Hardy

Accord and Satisfaction in Arizona

In Arizona, two parties can agree to a lesser amount than what is actually owed. In order for this to occur, there needs to be a clear indicator that a full satisfaction of the debt is... more


A lien gives a creditor certain rights to a debtor's property in order to ensure payment of a debt. Liens can be either voluntary or involuntary.

Howard Robert Roitman

Medicare Liens

Federal law generally prohibits Medicare from paying for any item or service where payment can reasonably be expected from another "primary" source within 120 days.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

20,991 answers this week

2,685 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

20,991 answers this week

2,685 attorneys answering