How do I find out if there's a class action suite against me,

Asked over 3 years ago - Norristown, PA

I have 4 short term loans that I'm currently paying for and now have gone to collections. But since I applied online some 1 has get ny info from any of the website n have been calling n harrassing me for a pay advance that I have no knowledge of, when I look up the number its a cell phone so I gnore. Now I receive a call from a indian accent like middle eastern claiming that's he's from a lawyer office and that their a class action against me and that I must pay 398 dollars or I have 2 go to court. Then when I called bk the person says he's an officer. Same middle eastern accent but says is name is michael william I'm no fool !ut I'm scared they have my address and SS# and account #. How do I get these ppl 2 leave me alone. I want 2 know how can I find out if there is any class action

Sorry the loans have not gone into collection and I called all 4 to verify and they have told me they have idea what I'm talking about and that I should ignore. But I would like 2 check for my on conscience. So give me some advice

1. Eric Lechtzin

1

Answered . Nothing you describe sounds anything like a class action law suit.

It sounds like you are receiving harassing telephone calls that may be related to debts that are in collection. There are numerous state a federal laws regulating debt collection practices. Follow this link for some Avvo guides on the topic of fair debt collection practices:

http://www.avvo.com/free-legal-advice/debt+coll...

Please give me a thumbs-up review if this answer is helpful.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice
    My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . What do you think a class action lawsuit is?

It is a lawsuit brought by so many people that no one can possibly find them all. An example would be people who were harmed by a defective product or business practice.

Using a legal term you don't understand doesn't help an attorney to answer your question. Just describe what is happening to you. For example, you say that someone has called & has been harassing you, what do you mean? Are they calling at 2 am, are they using vulgar language, are they threatening to put you in jail? Or are they saying that they want you to pay them. The first example is harassment, the second is not.

Good luck!

3. Douglas Andrew Millen

Answered . I agree with the two prior attorneys who provided answers to this question. This is not a "class action" issue and relates to harassment and the legality of the apparent collection efforts being made by your purported creditors. I strongly suggest that you obtain your credit reports and examine them carefully. This may help you identify the purported debts involved, assess their validity and then officially challenge any inaccurate items. You can get a free copy of your credit reports as described on the official FTC site .

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit...

FTC link to Web Site: annualcreditreport.com

Best of luck. Please give me a thumbs-up review if this answer is helpful

Disclaimer:

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice
    My answer provides general information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. My answer is provided for educational and informational purposes only. The law can be different in different jurisdictions and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or other facts. Accordingly, to obtain Legal Advice tailored to your particular circumstances.
    you should consult directly with an attorney to discuss your problem in specific detail.