How do I find out if the IRS will take my refund for Student Loans?

Watonga, OK |
Filed under: Tax law

I filed taxes last year and my student loans were in default then too. I got my entire refund back. This year I am worried that they may try to take my refund. I recieved a letter stating that they were going to garnish my wages as of Nov. 16th, but they didn't start that either. Can I find out if they are going to take my taxes before I file?

If they moved for garnishment, chances are they will intercept your taxes. there really is no sure way to know unless you call the Dept. of Ed. Of course you might be tipping them off that you should be subject to tax refund intercept.
You best bet is to cure the default. The best way is to (re)consolidate your loans (if you qualify) and apply for the Income Contingent Repayment Program which bases your payments on your income. After you pay the third month, your loan is removed from default. This means no wage garnishment, no tax intercept AND your credit begins to heal. Research it on the Dept. of Ed.'s website...

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law